Day 5–28.5 miles hiked
I woke up around 11 PM to the pitter patter of rain on my tent. What the heck?! I had just looked at the forecast earlier that day and there was bad weather moving in 2 days later…or so I thought. I hoped it was just a passing shower, but it was far from it! It rained most of the night with strong winds. I had set my alarm on my phone to wake me up at 6 AM, since I knew I wanted to get a lot of miles covered, but when six came and it was starting to hail, I decided to wait it out a bit longer!
It teased me with pockets of blue sky emerging momentarily (and treated me to a fabulous rainbow!), but it never did let up completely. I eventually put my big girl pants on and got hiking around 8:30 AM. Shortly after leaving camp, I met a couple of girls who were headed in the opposite direction. I asked them if they knew the forecast, wondering if I had misread it, and they confirmed that all this was supposed to start on Thursday. They even mentioned snow in the forecast on Thursday, which made me perk up, because I have nothing in my backpack to really get me through snow very safely.
I had a decision ahead of me. I needed to get up and over a pass at 9400 feet. I don’t know enough about weather to know if this storm would eventually turn into the electrical variety. It had not been so far, and I knew that in the summer months it’s better to be off high peaks by noon since thunderstorms tend to happen more in the afternoon. So I took my chances and hiked the 4 miles to the top as quickly as I could. I met two southbound PCT thru hikers in the way up as well as a father and son who were thru hiking the TRT.